Hello dear readers! How are you?
I hope your week has started in the best way. Well, here we are with a new article about one of the most beautiful places in Campania, Amalfi. In particular, I will tell you about 5 things to do in this small and charming town.
But first let’s talk a bit about its history: Amalfi in the past played an important role in ancient Italy because it was the most important of the maritime republics. Its foundation dates back to the period after the death of Emperor Constantine by noble Roman families.
There is also a legend related to the birth of this city: it is said that the god Hercules was in love with a beautiful nymph named Amalfi, who died prematurely. So the god buried his beloved in the place considered by himself the most beautiful in the world, calling it with the name of the nymph. Isn’t this legend beautiful?
Amalfi is a world famous city now and since 1997 it is also considered a UNESCO heritage site. But what are the five beautiful and interesting things to do in this amazing place?
1. Surely, if the weather permits, the first thing to do is a dip in the crystal clear waters of the coast.
One of the most famous and most visited beaches is the Lido degli Artisti. This also has a bar / restaurant where you can relax. Furthermore, it is possible to rent boats to visit the coast by sea. In order to access this beach you have to go down many steps, but trust me it’s worth it.
2. I remind you that this picturesque town is also famous for its delicious and colorful citrus fruits. So the second thing to do absolutely is to enjoy a fresh granita or a juice squeeze. Amalfi is full of kiosks that sell such delicacies.
Taste the lemon sorbet with strawberries! it is a real goodness.
3. When you visit a place, one of the things people do most is to enter the souvenir shops that satisfy everyone’s tastes. There are shops selling magnets, snowballs and other typical local objects; then there are the shops for those who love the fashion of the Amalfi Coast, where they sell very special hats, bags and clothes.
There are also the shops of sweets and liqueurs typical of the city. This brings us to the next point.
4. In fact, you can’t go home without tasting the delicious lemon liqueur: limoncello. It is so delicious and suitable to accompany all types of desserts, especially those made with dark chocolate.
5. The last and fifth thing I am talking about is the Amalfi Cathedral, the most important monument in the city.
This church dates back to the 9th century, when Amalfi was a maritime republic. It was subjected to several restorations and modifications based on different architectural styles.
If you have the opportunity, I recommend you visit this small Italian pearl. I am in love with it.
I hope with all my heart that you enjoyed this article and I hope that it has just kindled the desire to visit this enchanting city in you.
See you next time,
View Amalfi accommodation here